Translate

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

How to Lasso Your Story and Avoid The Brick Wall from Hell


To all readers out there – Hello! I’m Margaret of the Vinshire Sisters. And I’ve finally got off my lazy butt to go forth and write a post!

I can hear the non-existent cheers now.

Also, so you guys can’t kill me…

DISLCAIMER/WARNING: Those who read Margaret’s posts are in danger of sudden temper tantrums, desires to beat yourself unconscious, becoming a grammar nazi in desperation, and slight possible patronization. Thank you, have a nice day.


So, it’s about time I did a post and today I’m here to ramble on about something that you’ve probably heard a thousand times before – but is so stupidly true it bears repeating.

And since we’re all writers/readers here – to get my point across, I’m going to tell a story.

Once, when Margaret was first struggling on her first novel, Margaret was writing using one of her philosophies – Wing it, it’ll all come. So Margaret typed away, and typed away, keeping a vague catalogue of what might happen next in her head.

Then she hit page seventy. In the hitting of page seventy, she also hit a massive, ginormous, evilly cackling brick wall that came straight from hell.

This brick wall of evilness might be familiar to some.

It’s name is whispered in nightmares, and it floats on faint traces of wind that hiss in horror. That name is Writer’s Block.

“Woe is me!” cried Margaret, “I shall go off and abandon this story, as I am TIRED OF TRYING TO GET IT TO BEND TO MY WILL. ARKLAGJKLDJFGLKDJKLF-“ (note, Margaret did not explode into FLAMES OF RAGE , but thank you for asking)

Fortunately, Margaret had some sense slapped into her by Amanda and her Father.

Margaret sat and worried, and hmm-d and hawed, but eventually gave into the secret that she had been told would help her, but she wanted to deny.

She used this secret to wrangle her story under control – to make it write-able! (yes, yes, I know that word is technically non-existent, but please, bare with me.)

Like a wild horse that bucked at being taken from it’s un-ending fields of freedom by a lasso, this secret indeed did the same to the story and ideas.

What is this lasso?

THE OUTLINE.

(Enter Star-Wars Empire Music)

I know guys, I know. I hate ‘em too. But unless you want to write seventy pages into your story and realize that you’ve quite neatly written yourself into a corner and have wasted all that time end effort…well, maybe it’s not entirely wasted, but it’s nowhere near helping you write the actual story.

Common misconceptions about Outlines:

It’ll stifle my creativity! Some cry.

It’s BORING, Some wail. (That would be moi, m’dears)

I don’t have the time! Some howl. (Amanda answered this one. Look below.)

I’M AFRAID THAT SOMEHOW THE IDEAS WILL LEAVE AND DIE IF I DO SO, Some screech. (That would also be moi, darlings)

No, Not going to dignify that one with a response, Possibly, and No.

Outlines have always helped my creativity. It helps me get an idea of what possibly comes next – some of my greatest plotlines have come to me while I write outlines.

Yeah…it might be boring. If it’s boring though, that might be a clue something’s wrong with your plot if you get bored writing about it. ;)

And no, the ideas won’t leave and die.

People also labor under the assumption that outlines are SET IN STONE. *le gasp*

Nope, that’s not true either. I usually have five revisions of outlines. (Please, save all revisions guys!)

How to write an outline you ask?

Well…
That depends.

I like to go – Intro, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action/Epilouge and under each I have a list of bullet points.

Amanda likes to go chapter by chapter.

It depends. Whatever works for you. (Yes, I know some of you want to slap me for that! Sorry, it’s true!)

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Quick Review:

Main ideas:
LASSO THE STORY, WRITERS! DON’T LET IT LASSO YOU!

DEFY THE GINORMOUS EVIL BRICK WALL FROM HELL!

USE OUTLINES!

Question 1

Are outlines good or bad?

A.     Outlines come from hell. I will nevar use it!
B.     Is that a pretttyyy kitty, yes it is, yes it is!
C.     I don’t have time! So… bad. I’ll just wing it!
D.    Both. Now leave me alone before I shoot you.
E.     ….*grumbles* They’re good. I suppose. Well. I think so.
F.     GOOOOOD. Organize, peoples!

Answers:
A – Uh… no. Sorry. Wrong answer.
B – YUS IT IS A PRETTTTYY KITTY.
C – DON’T GIVE ME EXCUSES, GIVE ME RESULTS!
D – Uh… Right. That sounds suspiciously like one of my protagonists. OH MY GOODNESS SHE’S ALLLLIVEE. Don’t kill me!
E – That’s the spirit!
F – ….Why are you reading this post?


Thanks everyone!

Margaret Vinshire

No comments:

Post a Comment